It's My Birthday!! Here Are The Things I Have Learned So Far!
Since it is my birthday week (HEY THERE fellow Cancerians!!!) I figured I’d compile a list of things to share with you since I am considered wiser and probably way past over-the-hill. Here is some lessons I’ve accumulated over the years that I’d like you to know!
Well… first, I want to tell you one of my favorite birthday memories from my adult life. Blake, my first child, was due on my birthday!! I had mixed emotions about that. Part of me thought it would be fun to share a birthday but then I thought maybe it might be best if we each had our own day. I decided that the good Lord would see fit either way and that’d be fine with me. My son arrived 6 days late… But, it was a great time waiting for my best birthday gift of all time.
Alright, thank you for indulging my “squirrel” moment. Now, here are a few things I’ve learned throughout the years…
1. NEVER EVER TALK ABOUT SOMEONE ELSE’S KIDbecause you never know what yours will do. And don’t assume that your kid won’t or doesn’t do anything wrong. A stellar GPA does not mean they will do everything right and make all the right decisions. Messing up is part of life. When there are consequences there are opportunities for life lessons. Embrace the “mess ups” and hold your head high. Life lessons are for life. Some things can’t be taught. They have to be learned.
2. “WORRYINGis like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do but it gets you nowhere!” Glen Turner said that. Worrying is pointless so stop it right now. Worrying will not change the outcome and it will steal your joy. Shift your focus to something else when you feel anxious or worried. Clean your house, go for a walk but don’t waste another minute worrying over something that probably won’t happen anyway.
3. DECLUTTER YOUR HOME AND LIFE. Clutter is anything that does not support you being the best version of yourself. You don’t have to downsize your home, give up your friends or never buy anything again but only buy what you need and truly love and spend time with those that bring you joy. Otherwise it is a waste of time, money and effort.
4. FIND PURPOSE IN ALL THAT YOU DO. If you can’t find it then don’t do IT. Don’t be afraid to say “no”. But, in the same sense, don’t be afraid to say “YES” even when you are nervous to experience something new or out of the ordinary. Saying “YES” might lead to the best purpose of your life.
5. YOU CAN’T CHANGE PEOPLE AND KINDESS ALWAYS WINS. Stay in your lane and treat people how you would want to be treated. If you wouldn’t want to read a negative comment or social media post, then don’t write one. If you wouldn’t want someone to criticize you then don’t criticize. If you want people to be respectful of you then respect them. Life isn’t one sided. You get the point. Let’s all get back to basics. Afterall, it’s the little things that count and make people remember who you are and what you did. How would you like to be remembered?
6. LIFE IS WHAT YOU MAKE IT.There will be happy memorable times and there will be times when you want to give up. This is normal and should be expected. We can’t appreciate the view on top of the mountain if we haven’t experienced the view from the valley. Life isn’t fair. But it isn’t unfair either. Decisions made now will positively or negatively affect the future. Choose wisely. And if you make a mistake refer to the end of #1. Some lessons just have to be learned!
7. BIRTHDAYS SHOULD BE CELEBRATED. We should embrace our age. My grandmother used to say, “Age is just a number!” She was so right. It is how you feel on the inside that will transform you on the outside. Pretty is as pretty does.
Even if this month isn’t your birthday month, use July to reenergize yourself to be more sensitive, courageous and protective just like us Cancerians. I hope you feel needed and loved this month! Follow me on Instagramand Facebookand let me know if you have a July birthday and/or what you are doing to create more purpose and direction. Don’t let your age or circumstances define YOU. It is always a good time to “Start From Scratch”!